Well, the stomach bug made a not so welcome stop at our house last week. Ethan woke up early last Friday morning just after midnight having thrown up in his bed. I almost lost it when I walked into his room...there were smells coming from there that should never come from a little boy's room. He threw up on and off for the next three hours and then just like that slept from 3am till 9am the next morning and was fine as far as keeping bodily fluids in his body. Other than being really fussy and lethargic, he was fine. We seemed to coast through the weekend....UNTIL...2am Sunday morning. I woke up and knew it hit me. My new pillow became our toilet. Less than an hour later, I heard Zoe's door open, a few whimpers, and a blahhgg. She threw up all over herself and the floor. Needless to say by that point I was so sick I couldn't held Darin at all. He cleaned her up, cleaned the floor, got her back in bed, and she did it again....until 5PM the next afternoon. He was on his own the whole day, after having only 3 hours of sleep or so. By the time she had a semi-long break between episodes, he laid down on the couch and shortly thereafter Ethan woke up for the day. I couldn't help him at all...I felt totally helpless. Mine was so bad that if I even rolled over in bed, I would throw up again. Mine lasted for about 12 hours and Zoe about 15. Once we were finally able to hold things down, even just a sip of liquid, we started on the road to recovery...which in our case was twice as long as the illness itself. Miraculously, Darin never caught it...even after taking care of three others who had had it. Looks like he'll miss it this year...or at least this time. Phew. I could definitely think of a better way to spend a weekend, though...like scrubbing our kitchen floor with a toothbrush perhaps.
I'm actually sort of glad we had it before the holidays. We did the whole get the stomach bug during travel over the holidays three years ago and it was not what I would call fun. Our Christmas festivities included nothing but upchucking.
Look at these poor babies. Ethan just laid down on the floor on Friday and moaned. Poor guy. Zoe's picture was during her recovery period on Monday...she laid on the couch most of the day trying to regain energy. Are these not the most pathetic faces you've ever seen?
No comments:
Post a Comment