Thursday, August 21, 2008

Moody mommy vs. Fussy toddler


Rough morning! I hope this isn't any indication of how the rest of the day will go. When two "almost never" situations occur at the same time, what happens? In this case, a competition....who can be the moodiest? Any bets? OK, first off, I'm not moody very often, but as with any woman I do have my moments. We're entitled to a few. Second off...Zoe's not usually a fussy baby, but again, like any toddler, she has her moments. Since birth, she's been one who's quite content in any situation.

This morning was the two extremes colliding with a big boom. Ok so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but remember, moody mother in the room.

This morning, Zoe fussed and whined...ALL MORNING. Of course, she didn't start the constant fussing until Darin left for work. And it was like a magic button..he leaves...wahhhh. Now normally, I have patience for this kind of behavior from a 13 month old. I'll find something to distract her, which lately could be as simple as a toy or a book. This morning, nothing.. Toddler - 1 Moody mom - 0 I'd pick her up, she'd cry. I'd put her down, she'd cry harder. I'd show her a toy, she'd throw it. Toddler - 2 Moody mom - 0. Now do I know what the problem is? Yes. She was tired..for whatever reason. But the other problem was that it was over an hour before her usual nap time. So the new battle now occuring in my head is "should I put her down early and risk this happening again this afternoon (ALL afternoon) because she also went down early for her second nap or do I just try to survive the next hour?" Which would you have done?

Moodiness is now taking over. New battle now occuring in my head - "Don't take your frustrations out on her...it's just one hour". Toddler - 2 Moody mom - 1 So I signed into the blog and picked her up so she could relive some of her life. She gets a kick out of watching herself on video. Toddler - 2 Moody Mom - 2. Phew...15 minutes are gone now. Now it's 9:15. Of course at 9:16, she starts whining again. Find favorite toys and get her engaged. Sweet! Another 10 minutes gone by. Whining again. Toodler - 3 Moody mom - 3

Moodiness again creeping up...so again, I reminded myself, "she's just 13 months. She can't compete with your mood swings." So by this point, I realized there was no way she was going to make it till 10. But in a last attempt, Jack's Big Music Show was on, so we watched it. She LOVES that show (although it's the only one we watch during the day...I on the other hand had seen this particular episode 3 times. Toddler - 3 Moody mom - 4

That show afforded us another 15 minutes, but then she just broke down, so I gave in and put her down. 15 or 20 minutes early is entirely better than an hour and a half early. I'll take it. That's what I get for having a baby that prefers a schedule.

Final score, Toddler - 4 Moody mom - 4. Tie...which is ok. She's now sleeping peacefully, and I'm now able to vent my frustrations by using my creative outlet instead of her. Phew...1.5 hours down, only 7 to go until Daddy get's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment