Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Red and Blue

Since Zoe was about 8 months or so, I started reading her specific types of books that teach her basic things like colors, parts of the body, shapes, and simple objects. She within the last month has really started to show an interest in reading. She has a stack of books that are "baby proof" and cardboard. They're just among her toys. Almost every day, those are what she'll pull out first before she even touches her toys. She loves just flipping through the pages by herself. Lately, she has started to crawl to me slide a book along the floor with her. I take that as an indication that she wants me to read to her. So I pull her up on my lap and read. She has started to show interest by pointing at objects or numbers. When she does, I always tell her the name of the object. I would always take her finger and point at something as I said it when I introduced these books to her. She now does it by herself. We've also started working on just colors of solid color objects that she has...in particular a red, blue, and green ball. This morning I grabbed two of the balls, a red and blue, and told her the names of them a couple of times. I held them in front of her and asked, "Where's the blue ball?". She pointed at it and took it from me. I, of course broke out into cheers and clapping, so she joined me with smiles and claps of her own. I took the blue ball back then repeated with "where's the red ball", and she pointed and grabbed it. I did this a few times and mixed them up, so I know she's actually learning them. How exciting? This is great affirmation for all those months and months of simply preparing myself to be teaching all the time by just naming things. I had alwasy been hoping for some kind of a response and just got a smile, or worse, just a funny look. I'll see if I can't capture a video of her doing it later on.

1 comment:

  1. That's so wonderful! What a smart girl she will be (and already is)!

    ReplyDelete