This morning, she awoke groggy and lethargic. She apparently laid on Darin's shoulder for quite some time this morning and didn't touch any of her breakfast except for her pears. When I got up and around, I noticed that she was a bit slower too, but didn't think much of it until I picked her up to hold her for a bit and realized that she had a pretty high fever. High might have been a big of an understatement...she was running 103.3. Having been through this before, I dosed her with Motrin and ran a "tepid" bath (one that's more cool than warm). For one that normally LOVES her bath time, she shrieked when I put her in this one. With her little body being so hot, it must have felt like ice water to her. So we reran the bath at our normal temperature and I poured water over her for about 20 minutes. No playing today, no laughing, no smiles, just tears, tears, and more tears. And not even the kind of tears that represent someone who was mad...these were tears and sobs that were almost barely audible and more of whimpers than anything else. By 10ish, I had her down for her morning nap and she slept somewhere b/w an hour and a half and 2 hours which was great considering rest is the best thing for her. I got her up and fed her, only she didn't eat much besides her banana. As she sat at the table, I saw her little body shaking uncontrollably. She was FREEZING! Her entire body was covered in cold chills despite the fact that every part of her radiated heat. I carried my crying child to the couch, put a thick fleece blanket over her, and turned on Dora The Explorer. She laid on the couch, y'all...just laid there! This is a child who only slows down long enough to catch her breath before taking off again, definitely not the portrait of a one who will LAY on the couch (much less sit on it for long).


We had a doctor's appt. early this afternoon. The verdict is that it's some random bacterial infection...one that is hard to tell exactly what it is b/c it has no focus. Other than the fact that she has high fever (which rose to 103.6 even while we were at the doctor), chills, and had a little bit of an upset stomach Monday and yesterday, we know nothing. Some of you are probably thinking it's the flu, but that's not it. She has little to no congestion, no coughing, nothing of the sort. So she got a shot of antibiotics in her leg and we'll start a round of them tomorrow.
While they ran a series of tests on her (strep, etc), she wanted to lay down again...so sadly, she laid on the bed in the doctor's office for about 30 minutes or so...just laid there limp as could be. Watching her made me feel utterly helpless. I love being a parent, but H.A.T.E. this part of parenting. I want so badly to take her discomfort from her.
The hope is that by tomorrow we'll see some sort of improvement. Otherwise, they want to see us back tomorrow. Bummer deal! The good news is that an hour after the Tylenol that they gave us and the antibiotic, her fever is already down to 100.7. It didn't even go down that much when I gave her the Motrin and put her in the bath this morning. That's the best news I've had all day. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be on the mend and we can manage to not have to go in to the doc again. *Sigh*
I'm so sorry. It is no fun having sick babies. You just wish you could take their place.
ReplyDeleteHope the little darling feels better soon.
And get some rest, mama.