Happy Beginning of 2010! In our house...this is just another day. Mentally, it's a fresh start, but in reality, it's no different than any other day. For that reason, I'm always torn about the whole New Years Resolutions idea.
I'm torn because it's a good idea...but it also doesn't make much sense. It insinuates that we can only make a goal for ourselves once per year. That making a goal for yourself on September 21st isn't acceptable...or that "it'd just be easier to wait until January and make it a resolution". That makes zero sense. But I also know that this time of year just FEELS like a fresh start. The autumn season has built up to Christmas, and just like that it's over. January 1st just feels...well, new. It's a new day, a new year, and for us this year, it's a new decade.
I'm also torn because most people are notorious for making a long list of resolutions for the new year and by February 1st are back to the old way of life. I'm one of those. I've kept very few resolutions. I made one for myself last year...it was one that I was determined to do. And I kept it. It was a goal to read the Bible in a year. I did it...but that's one of the VERY FEW that I've actually kept. If you know me well, you know that I'm hard headed. If I really want to do something I will, but I have to REALLY want to do it. I have about 15 pounds to lose. If I really wanted to do it, I could and would...but I apparently don't want it bad enough b/c I haven't made enough changes necessary to make that possible.
So, that being said, will I make New Years resolutions this year? No. Will I make goals for myself this year? Yes...they just won't necessarily be made now. I want to be open and make sure it's something I really want to change before I just go making a list. So here's my resolve for this year...not so much a resolution, just a lifestyle/attitude change.
This comes from 1 Peter 3:3-4.
3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
See...again, I need to lose about 15 pounds. I am always self conscious about the way I look. I have post-baby flab that will probably never go away. I'm uncomfortable watching the sex-driven commercials that portray the 2% of Americans who have Barbie-like body types (you know, the ones like the new Reebok shoes that supposedly give you a nice butt and thighs?). So I attempt to dress a little nicer to overshadow the fact that I am a little heavier than I'd prefer to be. Of course, I should mention that most of the clothes I have found this year, I'm excited to say that I found at thrift stores from people who give away their clothes after they've worn it for a season. I have a nose for finding stylish clothes for $1, let me tell you! BUT, I have the wrong attitude. I need to be more focused inwardly, not outwardly. Only at that point will I begin to "feel" better about myself. It will be natural. I won't have to try to adorn myself in a certain way just to make me feel better about my appearance.
If I think about it, I don't know many of those "Barbie-looking" women who have just the greatest personalities. But I do know a lot of women who aren't those skinny Minnie's that have fantastic personalities. For instance..the girl from Selah, she's pretty overweight...but she has an aura about her that just draws you to her.
So anyway, that's the main thing that I want to focus on this year. Most everything else I'd want to change in my lifetime would begin to improve naturally with that one attitude change.
So with that, I wish you a Happy New Year! Here's to 2010!
I'm torn because it's a good idea...but it also doesn't make much sense. It insinuates that we can only make a goal for ourselves once per year. That making a goal for yourself on September 21st isn't acceptable...or that "it'd just be easier to wait until January and make it a resolution". That makes zero sense. But I also know that this time of year just FEELS like a fresh start. The autumn season has built up to Christmas, and just like that it's over. January 1st just feels...well, new. It's a new day, a new year, and for us this year, it's a new decade.
I'm also torn because most people are notorious for making a long list of resolutions for the new year and by February 1st are back to the old way of life. I'm one of those. I've kept very few resolutions. I made one for myself last year...it was one that I was determined to do. And I kept it. It was a goal to read the Bible in a year. I did it...but that's one of the VERY FEW that I've actually kept. If you know me well, you know that I'm hard headed. If I really want to do something I will, but I have to REALLY want to do it. I have about 15 pounds to lose. If I really wanted to do it, I could and would...but I apparently don't want it bad enough b/c I haven't made enough changes necessary to make that possible.
So, that being said, will I make New Years resolutions this year? No. Will I make goals for myself this year? Yes...they just won't necessarily be made now. I want to be open and make sure it's something I really want to change before I just go making a list. So here's my resolve for this year...not so much a resolution, just a lifestyle/attitude change.
This comes from 1 Peter 3:3-4.
3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
See...again, I need to lose about 15 pounds. I am always self conscious about the way I look. I have post-baby flab that will probably never go away. I'm uncomfortable watching the sex-driven commercials that portray the 2% of Americans who have Barbie-like body types (you know, the ones like the new Reebok shoes that supposedly give you a nice butt and thighs?). So I attempt to dress a little nicer to overshadow the fact that I am a little heavier than I'd prefer to be. Of course, I should mention that most of the clothes I have found this year, I'm excited to say that I found at thrift stores from people who give away their clothes after they've worn it for a season. I have a nose for finding stylish clothes for $1, let me tell you! BUT, I have the wrong attitude. I need to be more focused inwardly, not outwardly. Only at that point will I begin to "feel" better about myself. It will be natural. I won't have to try to adorn myself in a certain way just to make me feel better about my appearance.
If I think about it, I don't know many of those "Barbie-looking" women who have just the greatest personalities. But I do know a lot of women who aren't those skinny Minnie's that have fantastic personalities. For instance..the girl from Selah, she's pretty overweight...but she has an aura about her that just draws you to her.
So anyway, that's the main thing that I want to focus on this year. Most everything else I'd want to change in my lifetime would begin to improve naturally with that one attitude change.
So with that, I wish you a Happy New Year! Here's to 2010!
No comments:
Post a Comment