Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mom-nesia meets Friday the 13th

Alright, people.  I promise I'm not pregnant.  But after my series of "oops" events on Friday, I might have second guessed myself. 

Let's see...let's fast forward to Friday evening about 4:30.  I went to the kitchen to get ready to prep my meal for the night.  I had my meat thawing on a plate in the sink and started getting all of my other ingredients together.  It's important to know that this was a new meatloaf recipe (meatloaf cups) so I was making sure that I had everything in order.  I got to pouring, measuring, mixing, and spooning and had everything ready to put in the oven.  A thought crossed my mind as I was putting it in the oven..."Wow, this really didn't make much!".  That's when I saw it...my meat, still sitting on it's plate, which is still in the sink.  Totally feeling like an idiot, I was able to correct my mistake before we had "loaf cups" for dinner.  That was "oopsie" #1.  Forgetting the main ingredient in MEATloaf.  So smart of me.  Yeah, yeah, quit your laughing, I'm not done yet. 

Oopsie #2 came about 40 minutes later.  I had my meatloaf cups put back together and was putting some blueberry cheesecake muffins in the oven as well.  At this point, I had three dishes in the oven, one needing to be at 350, one at 375, one at 425.  So I compromised and did between 400 and 375.  Somehow I either lost track of time or our oven gets way too hot, because when I went to check on the meatloaf and muffins, they were like chunks of coal....burned to a crisp.  Totally devastated feeling even more stupid at this point, I looked at Darin and said, "So lets go out tonight."  My poor food!  What did it ever do??  I tried at this point to console myself by telling myself it was only the 2nd or 3rd time or so I'd totally messed up a meal.  The only other time I can remember is when I was making broccoli cheese soup and didn't stir often enough causing the cheese to scorch.  MMMM...scorched broccoli and cheese soup...Y.U.M.M.Y!  I just threw in a 3rd time in there because I'm sure I've made other bonehead mistakes at some point that I just can't remember right now.  Now, note...there is one other dish that I made, corn bake, that I took out of the oven unharmed and put it on the stove top.  (Foreshadowing, foreshadowing!!!)

And now for oopsie #3.  We go grab a bite to eat and go back home in time to play with the kids for a little while before bedtime.  Cleaning up a bit, I mention to my husband, "hey, we can take this tomorrow night.  I take my perfectly good corn bake which is now cool at this point and took it towards the refrigerator.  Realizing that the only wide open spot in our fridge is at the bottom, I bent over to put the dish in there.  CRASH.  Down it goes, corn flies everywhere, glass goes everywhere.  Fridge is now decorated in green chilies and corn, as is the floor.  The floor has an added bonus.  It has pretty shapes of glass shards all over it. 

Let's just say that I banned myself from the kitchen for the rest of the night due to mom-nesia...or Friday the 13th...or just plain stupidity.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment