Tuesday, September 9, 2008

All in a day's work..



Whoever said that being a stay at home mom didn't count as a full time job obviously didn't stay home! Either that or they had a child who was so inactive that they were satisfied with one toy for hours on end until nap time. Yeah, in an alternate universe maybe! When I'm not doing house chores (or blogging or facebooking..hehe), I'm chasing around a kid who loves to "go go" as she would put it. She occasionally will play with a toy for an extended amount of time, but must of the time she is wandering the house or bouncing back and forth across the room in search for something to play with - as if she didn't have enough toys. Though I am tired by the end of the day, she's a blast being around and a good little playmate. I wouldn't have it any other way.

On another note, I love having a clean house. I strive to keep it a fairly clean house, difficult as that may be with a 14 month old child. But to do that, I have to have a semi-schedule that I follow on a daily basis. One such schedule consists of daily dishes and kitchen cleaning, constant straightening, and picking up a train of toys at the end of the day...every other day (at least) is laundry since we use cloth diapers...once a week is vacuuming and serious scrubbing of the bathroom (we don't have a kid that pees all over the floor and toilet yet so we can get away with once a week), and whatever else needs to be done at the moment. So this technique, I suppose, would be similar to the Fly Lady's way of living (thanks Mary...but I don't know, b/c she's pretty meticulous about the way she does things. Me, not so much...it's just about getting them done and keeping the house in a straightened state. Notice I didn't say clean. Cleaning is what I do once in a while when I get into a funky mood and just go to town on every room in the house...usually a day long process. Cleaning is the obsessive dusting every nook and cranny and throwing out junk accumulating in the closets or junk drawers. I on the other hand am I'm talking like 30 minutes a day devoted to keeping the house a certain way, maybe more when I have a child who drags every toy out of her toy box and onto the floors of the four rooms in between the laundry room and bedrooms multiple times each day.

What gets frustrating is how quickly things pile up. Why is it so hard for us to just put things away when we finish with them? Zoe, I can understand. But, hello, I'm 27 and still apparently have a hard time with it.

This is a laundry day. I really don't like doing laundry. I don't mind washing and drying clothes. It's the rest that I don't enjoy. I greatly dislike folding. I dislike even more the putting away of clothes. No idea why...just know I don't like it. Unfortunately, more often than not, laundry is consistently washed an dried, and consistently put into laundry baskets to pile up until clothes start falling off of the 3 foot high stack. So now with that being said, I must go fold the three laundry baskets full that haven't yet been folded. Blah!

Of course, in all my griping, I must acknowledge that I'm not the only one who does the work...I just try to get it all done so no one else has to worry about it. But my wonderful husband does his fair share around...just like he did the dishes for me this morning.

1 comment:

  1. At least you don't have to do at min. 2 loads of laundry a day yet, then again those days might be closer than you think. I hate washing and drying dishes too.

    ReplyDelete