Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Open door to potty training?

Is it possible? Wow...I wouldn't think so, but I guess anything's possible. Not that we're anything close to actually buying Zoe her very own portable potty yet. But she did do something (well two something's, actually) that led me to believe that she at least understands the concept of being dirty and in need of a diaper change.

I was preparing food for Bunco tonight and lost track of time. Normally I change her, unless needed before, at about 4 in the afternoon after her last diaper change at around noon. It was4:30 and I guess I just forgot what time it was. Zoe has gotten really good at trying to communicate with me what she wants or needs. As I was trying not to slice my hand off cutting an apple core out, Zoe came up to me, stood beneath my feet and said what sounded like "dipar". I didn't even pay attention at first b/c she jabbers all the time and also stays under my feet all the time while I'm in the kitchen. I feel like I have a puppy in there sometimes. But she kept on saying it and eventually it registered that she was saying diaper. DUH! Hello, the kid is telling me that she was overdue for a change. There's no telling how long she tried to tell me with my brain going at turtle pace these days. Now granted, her word for diaper up until this point has been "diety". Not sure why, but that's what I am used to by now. The new "dipar" word threw me off. I vaguely remembered her going behind the kitchen table, squatting down, and grunting, but again...didn't register at the time. Dummy! So I asked her, "Do you need a diaper change?" She just kept saying "dipar", so I rephrased my question to "are you poopy?" This unfortunately has become a word that is spoken frequently in our home...but only since we've had a child. It was taboo before then...thankfully just not something we would discuss. Now..back to my story. She repeated my word "poopy". So immediately I went and got a diaper and sure enough she was nasty with a capital n!

Wow...the thought of no more diaper changes (at least until April) is a wonderful thought. Again, I know it's at least several months away, but you've got to start somewhere. And today was a good start in my opinion. Now, as a new mom..my question is what is the next step??? Is it something I initiate or she will initiate like she did today? I'd love for her to be totally potty trained by the time the next baby is born in April sometime. Not sure if that'll happen or not, but I a mother can dream!

1 comment:

  1. It took us several times, off and on, for Shelby to learn to use the potty. I put her in panties during the day and Pull-Ups at night. I would set her on the potty every 30 minutes to an hour and when she started understanding more, we did a sticker reward chart. She didn't really get the hang of potty training until she was almost 3. It was like a light switch. But, I've heard of kids learning a lot younger. We also read several books together, too. Oh, a travel potty ring was a necessity when we were out. They fold up and you can stick it in their bag. You can get them at Wal-Mart or Toys R Us.

    ReplyDelete