Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tropical storms, bub bubs, and rahrs

Yes, I'll be the first to admit my title is complete randomness, but it does have meaning, just multiple meanings.

So Gustav, the tropical storm that was quickly downgraded to a tropical depression, hit Arkansas and decided to make it's home here. I guess this particular tropical storm decided it preferred landlocked states over those by the ocean. Once it hit in the wee hours of the morning yesterday (9/2), it stalled over us and slowed to a speed of about 3 mph (according to a friend). So what does that mean for the land of Arkadelphia? Over 11 inches of rain from yesterday morning until...well, now since I'm still hearing the pitter patter of raindrops. Our house which sits atop a hill and is in no danger of flooding, thank goodness, but other places have not been so lucky. Wow...come to think of it, if our house ever did flood, the whole town of Arkadelphia would be completely submerged. So far, Gustav has caused our major river running through town to rise far, far above it's flood limit, a few downed trees and limbs from high winds last night, the closing of Goza Middle School due to a downed limb on a power line (the other schools were all in session), flooded homes and apartments, and lots and lots of nothing but rain. Soon, if it's not already, the OBU gazebo will be nothing but a barely visible rooftop. And when the river water finally recedes, there will be hundreds of dead fish from the river on the OBU practice football field causing a huge stench. Yum...fried fish anyone?

Aside from the Gustav news, I'll address the "bub bub and rahr" portion of my post title. Any ideas? It's Zoe's newest words, and they're in response to the following questions. "What does a fish say?" and "What does a lion say?". Of course for a while, she was stuck in the "rahr" mode and she'd say that word with any question you'd ask her. She even puts some umph behind it sometimes. Why those two animals, I don't know. She has a little book that has a few of the lesser common animals in it in my opinion, the lion and gold fish being two of those. She's also learning what a monkey says..we've managed to get her to say "ooh ooh", but not that coupled with "aah aah". And she'll say what a puppy dog says by saying "uf". So I'm sure that all day tomorrow, she'll walk around the house going, "rahr" at anything and everything.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, after all this rain, Shelby's school is closed today. She's not that thrilled...she'd rather be in school :(.
    Bethany's working on her animal sounds too. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally...I've been having trouble pulling up this page to leave you a comment. I've tried on several other posts, but couldn't get it to come through....weird. So, I have been reading...just couldn't comment. Glad it seems to be cooperating again.

    I'm about Gustaved out. I'm ready for it to dry out again. We're home from school today because our roads are flooded. Luckily our house won't flood because we're on a hill, it is just a road problem.

    So sweet Zoe. I love it when they start making animal noises. For the longest time every animal Tate saw said, "Moo." Go figure.

    ReplyDelete