Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Mineosaur states, "I do it myself!"

So this is what the "terrible twos" are. Was I a fool in thinking I would actually get 3 more full months before Zoe truly hit this stage? Probably so. Best not to answer that one for me.

This is what I heard come out of Zoe's mouth this morning...caught me by surprise. "No, I do it! My socks!" Well then! So I hesitantly let her try knowing full and well where it would end up, and it ended in a frustrated whine/grunt.

Since the beginning of the week, she's taken notice in the fact that she can take her shoes and socks off and put them back on herself. This morning, it was about the socks and getting them off by herself. So I let her try, and then eventually picked her up and showed her where to grab. She did it! And with a B.I.G smile on her face followed by "I did it!". Oh dear...here we go! This week, socks...next week, the shirt and pants, the next week, getting into her car seat by herself.....when does it end??? Yeah...don't answer that one either. I am shoving the answer to that one deep down in my brain out of sight.

I guess it's a good thing that she's working towards fostering that independence, but at the same time, it's the sound reality smacking me in the face that my daughter is no longer totally dependent on me. *sigh*

So what else am I seeing? Well, the whining thing is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I guess she finally got tired of being ignored. I don't think I've used the words, "Mommy doesn't listen to whiny girls." in a week at least. Not to say that this stage won't come and go.

But other things are emerging...things like the emergence of the "Mineosaur". That's going to become my new nickname for her. Everything is "Mine, mine, mine". "My book!" or "My toy". And when the Mineosaur rears its ugly head, look out! Sharing??? What's that? Fortunately, we've worked on sharing for the past few weeks and she's getting the hang of it. I usually will ask her, "Are you being very nice right now?" When I see the wheels turning, I ask, "Can you go share your toy with *fill in name*?" And usually, she'll do it, complete with the outstretched arm and the "here you go". Yeah, I know...good storybook ending. But what you don't know is the sometimes blood curdling squeal and possible wrestling match occurring over the toy that comes before I can waddle over to intervene. Boy oh boy do I have my work cut out for me here. I'm tired just thinking about it!

So I know you've been here, mama's. Any advice for maintaining sanity or dealing with the terrible two problems?? Remember, even we need to share. Hehe...just kidding.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry Alison.....I got nothin' on this one! My daughter is STILL going through the terrible two's and she is 4 1/2 years old.LOL You are lucky that it is just now starting, because mine started at about a year and a 1/2 maybe. She started early! I am still waiting for it to end. I messed up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough. But you know what helps? Siblings. And you've got that covered in just a few days! When they are forced to share...it becomes second nature. And with a sibling around...NOTHING is sacred anymore. Until, of course, one slugs the other in the face and then pretends like the dog did it. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A stiff drink? Just kidding! I know it's a dry county there!

    Kids are selfish and self-centered. They come by it naturally. It's our job to make them civilized. Fun, huh? We do a lot of rehearsing and talking aboute expectations before we go somewhere or play with someone. I believe in lots of rehearsal to head off those meltdowns!

    ReplyDelete