Monday, April 6, 2009

Stop staring at me!!!

Seriously, I'm not enjoying the looks I get from random people when I waddle, I mean walk, into a store. It's not just brief glances, it's like these stare down competitions that you play with kids, only it's with my belly. It's one thing for a quick glance from someone, but when people just look at me and stare, it's just not nice! There was this guy in IHOP yesterday morning that stared at me for the entire 5 minutes we waited for a table. I know I was a sight for sore eyes yesterday right after I was released from the hospital, but come on now! I've got a wedding ring on and I don't have 10 barefoot kids trailing behind me surrounded in a cloud of dust, so what's the problem?? I wasn't in the greatest mood tonight when we went to the store b/c my legs are a bit sore from walking at the hospital yesterday and I was contracting a little again, so I noticed it a bit more, I think. Haven't you people ever seen a pregnant woman before?

And if it's not the staring, it's the comments. I had two in one day last week. The first was from an energetic black gentleman who was trying to sell something to my husband. He got one look at me and said, "Woah, that's gonna be one big baby!!". Gee, thanks. That night, a little Chinese lady (you've got to imagine this in a chinese accent) said pointing at me, "Woah...big watermelon!" Again, gee thanks.

Uh-oh...does this count as crabby? I'm normally not a complainer, nor do I just get crabby (even during PMS). I was informed yesterday by the nurse when she discharged me, "When labor nears, you'll get really crabby." Sorry for the soapbox, it just got to me for some reason today. Climbing down now....

5 comments:

  1. Hey Alison....you have every reason to be crabby right now....you have been through a lot these past few days or so from what I have been reading. I am sorry that little Ethan is taking his time. I wish you the best and hope that the next time you step foot in that hospital, is to have your precious baby boy. I will pray for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking you are entitled to a little grouchiness....we're letting it slide!!!

    I'm not sure why everyone stares at pregnant women like side show acts, but they totally do...you're right!

    BTW...I think I would have popped the Chinese lady in her nose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided that if I ever do get pregnant, and some crass person comments on how big my bell is I'd say "Yeah, your belly is almost as big, isn't it?" Or "In a few weeks I'll lose this weight when the baby comes. What's your excuse?" You know, something nice and offensive that only pregnant women can get away with. Just blame it on hormones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I was a little cranky too! It will all soon come to an end when you see your precious son! Not too much longer to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. arghhhhh - if it's any encouragement - when i was just one week overdue - a nurse looked at me and said "you have another month to go?" not because i was that "small" but because he never dropped. i was devastated!
    i think that the older i get, hopefully, the more i learn to keep my mouth shut!
    you'll have a sweet baby boy to hold soon - i hope that makes up for the insensitive comments!

    ReplyDelete