So it's been a while since I've posted, but I decided I'd go ahead and do something "short" tonight...as if I can actually post something short. I'll give you a rundown of the last few days/nights.
First off...we're SOOO excited to have our baby boy home and healthy. What a blessing!
Second off...can I just tell you how thrilled I am not to be pregnant anymore? And can I tell you that I'm ecstatic that I'm able to fit into some of my pre-preggo pants already!! I'm hoping that once all my swelling goes away, I'll fit into the rest of it. I think I was in all of it with Zoe w/in a week and a half, so that's my goal!!
So rundown of night one at home - last night.
NIGHT #1 - So we're thinking "this baby was perfect in the hospital. Never cried...always content just to be "hanging out", and slept and ate very well...this'll be a breeze." Ahem...
So let's just say that I couldn't have been more wrong. He's got tummy issues...tons and tons of gas. Possibly colic, no clue really. Just know that he'll be totally content one minute and then just go from quiet to all out shrill and either ball up or straighten out like a stiff board. Minutes (and more often hours) later, he'll burp a lot and/or pass a ton of gas.
So night 1 at home - 2 hours of sleep...maybe. Pretty much up all night with all out screams.
NIGHT #2 - Same story. Ten o'clock get ready for bed. Put a quiet baby in his bassinett, climb into bed, turn out the lights, and wahhhhhh!! Cried in extreme pain from about 10 until, oh, about 3:30 or so. In the midst of that, our 21 month old had a night terror and was absolutely terrified to go back to bed. So Darin and I spent about 2 hours switching off kids. He eventually ended up in the recliner with her. Ethan finally settled down for me about 3 and slept soundly until almost 7:30...phew.
NIGHT #3 - Same story. Ten o'clock get ready for bed...yada yada yada. Whaaaa!! Tons of gas again! Poor guy!! I wish I could take the pain from him. I had a migraine at this point. Fun stuff! 2:30ish, finally get him settled and then it starts storming. Electricity goes off briefly which means the radio we had on in Zoe's room to help diffuse the noise from his crying (and her nightlight) go out. That combined with a huge clap of thunder had her up and terrified again. So again, by 3, Darin's in the recliner with her. Storms continue all night long. Ethan was nursing sometime around 2ish just before the storm and all of a sudden threw up this massive (seemed like a half ounce - an ounce) of thick yellow gunk...looked like egg nog. Just before this nursing session, he hit an all time peak with his pain and his crying. As soon as all that came out, he zonked out and was instantly better...so much so he slept 4.5 hours until I woke him up to feed him (I had to people...I had to have some relief). I on the other hand slept only 2 or so during that time b/c the storm had gotten so bad that it kept me awake.
DAY 4 - Electricity goes out at 7AM. No lights all day long...and not until just about an hour ago when it was turned on at about 8:30 tonight. Can I tell you how much I felt like I was a pioneer lighting candles to see after dark? So thankful for lights!!!
NIGHT 4 - ????? We shall see. About to head to bed now. After a phone call to the doctor's office this morning about his gassy issues, the nurse seemed to think that throwing up what he did will help if not alleviate the gas. She said it was probably just built up from birth and the whole birth process and just hadn't come up yet. Hope is alive!!!
Oh, I so remember those days. Bless your heart.
ReplyDeleteOh, a colicky baby is my nightmare. Makes me afraid to try to have #2! I hope you survive and there are no more tummy troubles!
ReplyDeleteOh, Bethany had the same gunky issues and they told me the same thing. Can you give him Mylecon yet if he is in pain again? It WILL get better! I can't wait to see him!
ReplyDeleteOh, I am so sorry Alison. I hope tonight will be better for you. I will pray for you and the rest of your clan. I think I saw your husband at the Post Office this afternoon. I wanted to ask how you were, but I don't think he remembers me.LOL
ReplyDeleteAlison I am so glad you all are home and healthy. I know those first days are so hard...especially if you have a colicky baby. Jacob was very colicky and had tummy issues so if you ever need to talk I am hear for you. But the good news is it passes! Big hugs!
ReplyDelete