So, I guess yesterday sneaked up on me and passed me by. Having a newborn will do that to you. Honestly, I had forgotten that yesterday was even Sunday until last night. Sad, isn't it? The days and nights just sort of run together. I got treated to a nice dinner to Cancun and got my favorite meal of all time...cheese enchiladas topped with cheese sauce. In other words, a "can I have some tortilla with that cheese?" meal. WONDERFUL!
And for my gift...well, let's just say it's an ongoing gift...one that has a four part cycle to him...eat, pee, poop, and sleep, sometimes in that exact order. Oh, and I got my first gift from Ethan too. It was a nice, thick, yellowy and seedy substance that fizzed, or rather shot out of a particular oraphus on his body onto the brand new, been out for 30 seconds tummy time mat that he was laying on for his diaper change. Seriously son, the one time I'm not prepared with your changing mat and you have to punish me by pooping on me?? :-) Oh the things we go through for our children.
So here's the health update.
*Colic/reflux seems to have disappeared. His digestive system has regulated, I suppose, and all the pain he was having has now decreased to maybe once or twice a day that last at most a few minutes or until we get some gas drops in his belly. Hallelujia..that was a horrible first few days for all of us. Him b/c he was in so much discomfort, and us b/c we had to see him that way knowing there was NOTHING we could do for him but hold him until the pain passed.
*Weight check on Friday didn't go so well. He'd only gained an ounce since his Tuesday appointment, so they put me on a nursing every 2 hour during the day routine as opposed to the 3 hr routine he was naturally on to see if he'd gain weight through the weekend. Wow...let me tell you how badly that wore me out...not to mention made me really really sore. I was allowed to let him go during the night as long as I fed him at least once during the night. Most of the time, he would sleep 4-4.5 hour stretches. Sleep....what a wonderful thing!!!!!
*Went back in today for another weight check. Weight jumped from 7 lbs 7 ozs to 7 lbs 13 ozs. Granted, I'd just nursed him, so about 3 ozs was probably that, but it still means he gained at least 3 ozs over the three day period. Whohooo for weight gain! I was getting a bit concerned there.
*Now that we're past the initial colic stuff, he's on a great routine. He nurses for about 30 minutes, we keep him awake for another 15-30 minutes (if he allows us to), and then he sleeps until his next feeding. At night, I'll nurse at about 10, put him straight to bed...he puts himself to sleep most of the time, sleeps for 4 hours until I wake him up to nurse again at about 2, and then again for another 4 or 4.5 hours until I nurse again. He and Zoe were about the same in terms of how content they were...and I attribute most of it to the Babywise book. I'm telling you...great stuff, practical, and best of all...IT WORKS!
Goodbye for now..supper's here!
Sounds like things are going great!
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day!...if you are that off schedule, then you don't know that this is late!!1 :)
Good news for all of you! It feels great when you feel like everything's starting to get back to "normal!" Pretty soon the days won't run together so much anymore, thank goodness!
ReplyDeleteThat's good Alison! I am glad that things are starting to flow better. I wish I knew about that book when Miranda was a baby. I still can't get her to always sleep in her bed. I have managed to get her in there since Friday night, but I have to lay down with her or sit beside the bed until she goes to sleep. I guess it's a start!
ReplyDelete