Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How Dry I Am

"How dry I am
How wet I'll be
If I don't find
The bathroom key

I found the key
Now where's the door?
It's too late now
It's on the floor"

Is it sad that I remember having a little potty that played the tune to that song as a toddler? My mom used to wind it up for me so I could go potty. I think those might very well be my first memories, sadly.

Anyway - moving on.

We've lived that song out the last couple of days with accidents on the floor - especially right after bathtime or as I'm in search for a new diaper. Evidently, Zoe is sick of having to be changed - especially when she's more than just wet. So I told her (more out of irritation of her wiggling her bottom in the air while I was trying to wipe her clean than anything), "OK, Zoe, if you hate being changed this much, then you need to start using the potty like big girls do. OK?" Zoe - "Ok...use potty".

So off we went. Potty training attempt #3. But so ready this time. Can I imply that the third time's a charm? I don't know yet...ask me in a couple of weeks.

This morning, we started our potty routine...simply consisting of potty time every two hours starting from the time she awakes in the morning. That equates to first thing in the morning, sometime in the middle, just after lunch, after naptime, etc.

When I changed her after her 12 hour sleep this morning, I knew she had to go because her diaper was hardly wet. So we sat.....

and sat

and sat

and sat some more.

We turned the water on. And sat some more.

As a last attempt, I dumped all of her bath toys out into the bathtub and filled the bucket that they were in up with warm water. Can you see where this is going?? In went her feet. After a funny look from her that said, "Why are my feet in a bucket of water?" and about 20 seconds time, we heard it. "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS". TMI - sorry. OK, so we had one good success and a quick little potty party afterward. But we have the whole rest of the day ahead.

I thought to try something new. We've had Dora underwear for a few months now - and haven't used them yet. I pulled them out after our "potty party" and told Zoe, "Ok, you get to wear your Dora big girl underwear today. Don't get Dora dirty or wet, ok?" "Ok, mama." Periodically throughout the morning, I'd ask her, "Is Dora dry, Zoe?" "Yes, mama".

Potty success #2 was about an hour later...and ironically, it was #2. I'm glad that didn't get all over that underwear. YUCK!

And potty success #3 was just following lunch and a half cup of apple juice...and another bucket of warm water.

WHO-HOO! She's stayed dry and clean ALL DAY! So far, that is. Are we done with diapers???? Do you know how absolutely fantastic that would be????? Oh, the end of the rainbow is within reach. I can see it! I can see it!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you're "on the way" to NO MORE DIAPERS!!!! YAY... Doing happy dance I bet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just go cold turkey and be willing to throw away nasty underwear. You both can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Kendra....just pitch the gross ones.

    YOU CAN DO IT!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Alison! Way to go Zoe! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete