Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ode to Sweat

I promise, this isn't really a poem dedicated to the topic of sweat...it was just the best post title I could come up with at the time.

So can I say how much I miss being able to sweat?? I mean REALLY sweat, not just a glisten on the forehead. Does that sound nuts?? Don't answer that, I already know what you're thinking.

What I really mean by the above statement is that I miss being able to exercise...I mean grueling, huff and puff, "I can't do it anymore" exercise. Things like kickboxing, pilates, walking or jogging a few miles (though the jogging would be limited to about a mile), biking w/Zoe hooked up to a bike trailer behind me, swimming a mile in OBU's pool, playing softball, volleyball, or a good game of tennis. I MISS EXERCISE! I miss being able to sweat!

Why?? B/c when I sweat, I know I'm doing a wonderful thing for my body! I'm staying in shape so I can run around with my kiddos when they're actually at an age where it might be hard for me to keep up. I do a lot of things b/c I bore easily with too much exercise routine. It's really hard to describe, but when I finish a good workout, I'm exhausted physically, but I feel soooo good. Sweat may be pouring down my face, but there's just something invigorating about it.

I don't think I realized how much I missed it until I went for an hour walk today with Jennifer and though I couldn't move very fast, I was totally exhausted but completely energized by the time we finished. I so look forward to when I get clearance from the doctor to begin an exercise regimen again.

My only fear is not being able to be active outdoors right now. We have a jogging stroller, but it's a one seater (and you're not supposed to use it until they're 6+ months). We also have a 2 seater bike trailer, but you're not supposed to use that until they're a year old. Hmm...that's gonna be a challenge!

So walking I went today. I haven't exercised in like 6 months. My arms are turning to jello. Yuck! Since my arthritis acts up pretty easily, it just hasn't been really conducive for me to keep up a regimen. I'd have walked on our city trail, but until the last month or two, it's just been too cold to take Zoe out. I have to admit, I had an ulterior motive today, and it had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with getting or staying in shape. Can you guess why I might have been out there???

After "lectures" from many of you to get out and walk, I decided to dodge the rain while I could and go for a walk to see if I could help induce labor. We'll see. I'm contracting again, but it's nothing out of the ordinary...no pain associated with them yet. I decided it'd be best to have a walking partner today just in case my body decided mid walk to hate me and either shut down or go into labor. I can just see myself having to call my husband and have the following conversation, Me - "Hi, Honey. I went for a walk and am in labor. I need you to come pick me up." Him - "Ok, are you alright? Where are you?" Me - "Oh, about a half mile up on the trail where there's no road access."

So we'll see how this works. The plan is to do it again tomorrow if it's not raining and I've not gone to the hospital yet. Come on, baby boy...come on down!!! *Crossing fingers, arms, legs, toes, and eyes*

3 comments:

  1. Good girl! I think it IS best that you take somebody with you...maybe your husband?!LOL Good luck with the walking thing....hope it works for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you lost me at "I Miss Exercise." Really? Seriously? People really feel that way. I'm so confused.

    But, I'm with you on the walking that baby out. See....my philosophy on exercise is don't do it unless there is a reward in store. Too bad a swimsuit body isn't reward enough for me. Because I'm finding myself perfectly content sitting on the couch eating fruit-roll-ups and sipping on a Diet DP.

    Props to you though, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't cross legs! That's the opposite of what you're hoping for!

    ReplyDelete