Unfortunately for my kiddos, they're both sick. They have been for several weeks now. Zoe, on and off for about 4 weeks, Ethan on the other hand has been sick for about 3-4 weeks straight. Neither has been themselves. Both have been cranky. Both have been snotty. Both have been graciously sharing their germs with each other and with us. Both have developed this nasty cough...Ethan's bad enough that I felt necessary to take it to the doctor, for the eleventieth time this year. (Side Note: Aaron, if you're reading this, you're a wonderful guy, but I hope I don't see you again in that capacity until Ethan's 12 month appointment! ;-) He's also been head butting...a lot...and on the hardest surfaces he can find. And he isn't eating well. I wondered if this "cold" had been lingering so long that the little green monster from the mucinex commercials made a permanent home in my son's sinus cavities and had created a sinus infection, thus making some sense of his head butting (making some weird attempt to relieve some head pressure/headache), the fussiness, lack of eating, and coughing. Right after I made the appointment, my teary-eyed daughter came to me and I just so happened to feel her head...her very warm head. She had over 100 degree temp. Wonderful! So guess who else was seen this morning? I hate seeing my babies sick. Breaks my heart.
Diagnosis? Two sets of double ear infections. What? That was a surprise. I knew Ethan had a double because he had his post-op one month checkup and the doc found them. But Zoe? Hmm...that would explain why she's been throwing tantrums left and right and crying at the drop of a hat...and the random fever this morning...and why she's not sleeping well. And both have possible sinus infections. Ethan - most likely a sinus infection. Zoe - possible because of the lingering "junk". Treatment? Two sets of antibiotics. *CROSSING FINGERS* I'm really hoping that this gets my babies back to normal, for them, but for my sake as well. Some of my sanity went down with the water each time one of our toilets flushed. Patience was T.H.I.N. It's been a rough month to say the least. They have had such a tough time staying well, and although they've been out of sorts and just plain grumpy a lot of the time, they're troopers for dealing constantly with this crud. I will be the first to admit I'm probably not too desireable to be around when I have an ongoing ailment like that.
The good news is that now I know how to treat both of them. I hesitated giving them every over the counter thing I have that is safe for them to use because I knew only one would be necessary. So I saved the decongestant stuff for the night time but didn't really use anything during the daytime unless necessary. I gave Ethan some Motrin when I got home, and you know what? No head butts for almost 4 hours. That's a record! I gave Zoe numbing drops in her ears and you know what? She actually slept well at her nap...close to 3 hours as opposed to barely 1.
So back to the original point of the post - spring's timely arrival. Warm weather couldn't have come at a more perfect time...since I was desperately needing to just enjoy the sunshine from a place other than my front window and my kids needed to just get out and have a little space. It got to around 65 today...my idea of a perfect temperature.
Loves going to see the water. In today's case, loved looking at murky water filled with dirt and dead bugs.
Have some! I got it just for you!
Look at my baby stand! Less than a second after, he plopped. Not proficient with the whole standing thing yet. But we're getting there.
Look at my belly!





I swear it's Arkadelphia. I was tested and highly allergic to that town. Sam was sick all the danged time when we lived there. We move here and BAM! Not a single cold, cough, or ear infection in sight.
ReplyDeleteYay for warm weather and for kiddos on the mend!
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
Blessings, Grace