Again - according to their book, there are only 5 easy steps to this nutty training. But before the five steps, there are a few "must haves".
-of course you need a potty -you also need a potty doll
- could be as simple as a teddy bear dressed in a diaper
-AAAANNNNNDDDD, you must not forget your "potty snacks". You need enticing drinks and treats. Drinks for the increase in need to pee and treats for incentives.
-last but not least, you need a block of 1-4 days
Ok, so now for the so called easy steps.
Pre-step 1: Discuss with child how to use the potty from pulling down pants to the washing of your hands. Use the doll for this demonstration.
Step 1. Begin with your potty doll first thing in the morning. The child, after having seen the initial demonstration, will become the doll's tutor. Child offers the doll something to drink and then tries some herself to ensure it's tastiness.
Step 2. Play with doll for a few minutes with child and then act like the doll has to go peepee. Check doll's diaper for dryness. If the doll is dry (ahem), give the doll a treat. Have your child watch this.
Step 3. After doing a dry dance for doll, have child direct doll to potty so they can pee. Of course, you probably see where this is going. I at some point in time placed some water in the potty bowl to look like the doll peed. Because the doll stayed dry - the ultimate goal - and peed in the potty, they get a "double treat".
Step 4. Wait a few minutes, then ask your child the question of the day. "Are you dry?" The child will then feel his/her training pants to see if they are dry. If they are, they get a treat - some kind of sugary treat - or at least something enticing.
Step 5: Direct your child to their potty to try to use the restroom. If and when they pee in the potty, they get their double treat.
Then repeat...ALL DAY LONG!
For FOUR DAYS.
Oh, ok...so in other words, you're telling me to shove sugary juices into my child's mouth all day because it's "enticing" when they otherwise don't get more than one heavily diluted sippy cup of apple juice per day.
And Theeeeennnnn you want me to reward them with a sugary and extremely enticing treat (when again they don't get sugary treats more than once a month) each time I ask them if they're dry and they are...and then double that portion when and if they actually pee in the potty.
Sure...ok, are you going to take them when at the end of they day they're like this at 7:30 - 30 minutes before their bedtime - at the time when they're usually winding down and rubbing their eyes??? Didn't think so.
Oops...think Zoe might have slipped Jedi some of that sugar.
Umm...so update after day #1 - DOESN'T WORK!
Sure, she sat on the potty. But each time, did nothing. Not to mention, each time I'd get her off the potty and put her into a clean pull up, she'd pee in it within 2 minutes and then come tell me, "Mommy, went peepee. Clean diaper peas" Ugh.
Two capri suns and some diluted apple juice and 5 pull ups later (oh, did I mention that that was just from 8AM until 12:30PM?), I got smart. She's been staying dry during naps and then soaking a diaper sometime afterwards. So now just doing milk as a drink, I put her on her potty as soon as she woke up (after an almost 2 hour nap). She was dry, just as I suspected she would be. We sat on the potty...for forever! No peepee. Had her just play with no diaper in the vicinity for a while. No peepee. Watched her do the peepee dance and cross her little legs. Back to the potty. No peepee. This has now been over 3 hours. Back to playing with no diaper. Another peepee dance and crossing of legs...this time with a little whine. Back to the potty. Nothing. Back to play, again, watched her grab herself and whine. Back to potty...Nothing. At this point, it's been like 4 hours. I decided that she was just determined to hold it. So I put on a Pull Up. Less than 2 minutes later......."Mommy, went peepee. Diaper change peas." Are you kidding me?!!!??
So she's obviously not ready, and after that long of a day, I'm not willing to push that hard. I'll start a routine where we do potty sitting time after wake ups and after meals, but I definitely won't do this again.
Talk about a sugar rush. And you parents know what happens after a sugar rush...........

CRASH!
Yeah, I read about potty train in a day/weekend myth. It's crazy. Let me tell you, Sam just didn't know how to relax and let go of the pee. It's just somehow different outside of a diaper. He woke up dry, could sit on that potty for 3 hours and nada until diaper was on. One day, he figured it out and no more diapers! I figured he just was biologically unready to do it. Forget smartness or mama's drive. They just have to be able to do it on their own. I never wanted to be one to have to take my kid to the potty. I'd rather him take himself. That's the difference between a potty trained child and a child who has his parents potty trained. Make sense? You'd rather be the one in charge of making sure she goes to the bathroom every time or work up to she does in independently? That's my two cents, anyway.
ReplyDeleteI laughed so hard I think I peepeed in my pants! LOL I like the fact that she held it for hours without a diaper and then whoosh 2 min after a pull up was put on. That is, I'm sorry for saying this, HILARIOUS!! Just wait, you get to train a boy, now I can't wait to read THOSE posts!!
ReplyDelete