Ok, so it may not have been a very happy field trip. I just wanted to sound like all the other bloggers who are taking vacations and doing fun things this spring break. Let me just say this wasn't the must fun way to start ours. :-(
So this post is what started it all. Apparently, through the hour and a half of running through bubbles and throwing frisbees, she got into some ants. I guess, but I don't know. I didn't see anything when I gave her a bath that night. Anyway, yesterday after church, I changed her and there were four nasty looking bug bites surrounding her little ankle. They were a little swollen, but they were all clumped together too. Put some hydrocortisone cream on there and didn't think anything else about it.
4:00PM - lots of itching. LOTS of fussing and a little fever (though we'd been fighting allergies the last few days). Hmm...starting to wonder... Gave her benadryl and put on more cream. She'd been scratching them, so they were leaking clear fluid. Still didn't think too much about it.
7:00PM - Hmm..look a little swollen but not too bad. Not so fussy anymore b/c we put her down for another "rest" time at 5 and she slept for 40 minutes (this never happens, folks). Bites still just looked irritated from scratching. BUT...becoming more aware....
8:00PM - Bedtime. Took clothes and shoes off and WHOA! Bright red, puffy, swelling traveling all the way around her ankle and down her foot. Great, now what?
Didn't take Darin and I long that this warranted a trip to...the ER. We just didn't feel like it was good to wait until morning to take her to the doc since the swelling and redness came on that quickly.
So in we go...very pregnant and waddling lady, daddy with a headache, and barefoot girl in PJ's w/swollen ankle. I'm sure we looked picture perfect. Turns out the bug bites had created a type of staph infection, no biggie as long as it's treated properly. We're on antibiotics and will have a check up appt. with our family doc tomorrow. Now the trick is keeping her from scratching to keep it from spreading. That's going to be fun.
Afterwards, I ran into walgreens and bought some benadryl cream which was recommended by the ER doc and also purchased some gauze wrap. We wrapped her foot last night and taped it, then put a tall sock over all that to keep her from scratching at night. Doesn't seem to bother her at all and she's feeling great today. Bites are still red, but not worse than they were last night.
Crisis averted! Little trooper is on the mend!
I thought that kind of stuff only happened to us! We always get the wierd stuff....
ReplyDeleteGlad she's better!