Wednesday, March 11, 2009

O-R-E-O

Talk about an adventure! (Noises indicating a flashback in time) It all started yesterday about 4:00PM. It was the last warm day for a while thanks to this cold air system that will drop buckets of rain on us and leave us in the 40's. I was taking Zoe to OBU to play for a while outside and passed this obviously lost dog who looked like he was struggling to even walk, and in great need of some water. So there went my afternoon plan! The Humane Society was just down the road, so if it seemed harmless and had a collar on, I was going to take him there. He was completely harmless and did have collar on, so I scooped his worn out little body up and put him in the floorboard of my van. So on to the Humane Society we went. And of course...they were full. GREAT! What now? I'd been on and off the phone already with Darin informing him of the situation. He was ok with housing him for a night if they were closed or full.

So...to the house we came. Not knowing a thing about this dog's background, I was VERY cautious with letting him near anyone or anything. Before I even got Zoe in the house, I let Jedi outside and then took him and shut him in the bathroom. After I got Zoe inside and settled, I took him some fresh food and water. Less than 2 minutes after I shut the door, he was whining to get out, so instead of barricading him in where he couldn't see, I put our gate up in front of the door. Despite Zoe's screams, "Doggie" for half an hour as she wanted to see and pet him, we waited until Darin got home before I introduced him to either Zoe or Jedi. When we did, he was amazing. He immediately set out to run in our half acre back yard and play with Jedi. He even seemed housebroken at the time, going to do both in the yard. The two dogs being males tried to both mark their territory and claim it as theirs...over and over and over. We were still cautious all night with him and Zoe since we still didn't know anything about him, but he did great with her. She loved to chase him and pet him.

So all good, right?? So wrong! I don't think the poor guy had eaten in a while. He over the course of the evening ate about twice as much as Jedi does during one day, and I think between his system readjusting and his nerves, he had an U.P.S.E.T tummy. We started smelling this awful smell about 8:30 last night and realized that he was passing nasty smelling gas. Made us both look at each other and just about gag. Of course just about that time, we saw him taking a dump on the floor...a not so solid one. My gracious husband cleaned it up, just about gagging at the horrid smell a couple of times. He continued passing his horrific smelling gas until we finally went to bed. We closed him off in the laundry room for the night. No whimpers from him in there thankfully. This morning, my precious husband awoke and went to let both dogs out only to find out that he had pooped not once, not twice, but three times in the laundry room. Poor guy (and I mean both of them when I say that)....and again while he was in the shower. YUCK! And again, since I was still in bed after a usual rough night of tossing and turning, he cleaned all of them up. He deserves the husband of the year award just for that alone! When he got ready to leave, he informed me of the "new dog", one that was extremely playful, that loved to chew on things...oh, and one that was full of poo.

We were going to try to keep him here until we either found his owners or found him a good home. But I had to do what was best for the family. If he was rowdy, that wouldn't be good with Zoe around. So sadly, as soon as Zoe woke up this morning, I whisked her out of bed, PJ's, pee diaper, and all, and we took him to the pound. The old guy who runs the place is a jewel, and when I asked him to contact me if the only alternative that remained was euthanizing, he heartily agreed. So I left my name, number, and the precious dog. *sniff sniff* Zoe cried and cried "Doggie, doggie, nooo" as she watched him being taken into the animal shelter, but I assured her he was ok. I even shed a tear or two. Hopefully they'll either find his owners or find him some new ones. He's a cutie and such a sweetie! *Sigh*

I think he'd make a great "Oreo", don't you think? That name just seems to fit him. BTW - that's where my subject line came from

To give you a size perspective...I think he's part border collie, but not sure what else.

His new buddy, Zoe

1 comment:

  1. From what you told me yesterday, I bet the poor thing hadn't eaten in forever and his system just wasn't used to the food. Spud does deserve something for all of that clean-up! Man, sounds like a sick little guy on your hands.

    ReplyDelete