Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Help, Please!

Alright, so the post before, I mentioned something about Zoe and her newfound habit of whining. I realize that in just two weeks this has become a really big deal. I also realize that it needs to be nipped in the bud. But those two things mixed with the fact that she's just 20 months old don't make for a great combination.

So here's where I need you! HELP! Please comment and give me any suggestions you can think of!!

Right now, we're simply getting down to her level, making her look at us, and cutting her whine off with some kind of comment like the ones mentioned in this post. Sounds like a lot, but takes only about 5 seconds to do. Right now, it seems to be working for us to ask her in a stern voice, "Zoe, are you whining right now?". You can actually see the wheels spinning, and the next words out of her mouth are usually non-whiny tones. But..none of those work for more than 60 seconds.

So...what now? She's 20 months, and she understand a lot of what we tell her, but I doubt she'd understand something like an incentive jar or something like that.

So time out after a certain amount of "no whinings" comments? Pops on the legs each time she whines?

HELP!

On the other hand (TOTALLY off subject), I'm now 36.5 weeks along. Three and a half to go! He dropped this last week, and sense then has sat on a certain nerve about half the day. When he does, it creates a nice shooting pain that courses through my belly and leg every time I take a step. Part of the joy of pregnancy, I suppose. It'll all be worth it in three weeks...I just have to keep reminding myself that. I started weekly appointments last week. No dialation as of yet, but according to the OB I now have a "squishy cervix". I sure hope there aren't many guys on here reading this....hmm. So maybe I'll have dialated some when I go on Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alison, I know that I normally do not leave you comments, but I do love to read your blog. I would also like to know how to stop the whining and my child will be 4 1/2 years tomorrow.LOL So, I will be sure and keep reading your posts and hope that I will also get an answer to this problem. As for the other problem....it sounds like little Ethan was messing with your sciatic nerve. Ouch....that does not feel good at all. I have had that feeling before and ended up going to the chiropractor. Good luck with that too. I hope that you have a good and safe delivery when the time comes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the whining. That's a tough one. I've got an 8 year old who can't seem to kick the habit.

    I do know that we didn't nip it fast enough with him. Maybe because he was the first baby...but we let it go on too long and now he is a habitual whiner. The other two aren't that bad...but I know I was a lot harder on them then I ever was on the oldest.

    We are big "stick your nose in the corner" people. My kids hate being where they can't see what's going on. Time out chairs never worked for us, because they could still observe from their time our spots. Anyway, we usually head straight to the corner for the first utterance of a whine...or any other thing. Now we usually just have to hold up a hand and the whining stops (except for Keaton). I wonder if some kids are just born whiners...

    I would be one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, squishy. That's just BLECH! Maybe I am glad that my reproductive organs hate me.

    Spanks and swats don't work in my kid for anything. And it's hard to rationalize and explain things to a 20 month old, so that's out. Have you tried extinction by ignoring? It's hard to do, but sometimes we just tune it out and it stops. The whole negative reinforcement thing, you know. They're just seeking attention and are trying to add whining to their arsenal, I believe. I got one kid, what do I know. But I don't put up with whining at all. Can't stand it! Hope it ends soon!.

    ReplyDelete