Monday, November 10, 2008

Weird night

Zoe's bedtime is anytime between 8:00 and 8:30PM. We usually try to stick closer to 8 because her internal clock tells us she's ready. And besides that, she's often by then telling us "bap" which is her word for nap or "nite nite"...both saying, "I want to go to bed". Yes, I know it's strange enough I have a child who tells me when she wants to nap and go to bed. She definately got that from Darin who I hear just went to bed when he was little. If he wasn't home, he'd find a warm and dark corner of a house to go to sleep. His parents would have to search friend's homes for him when they were ready to leave. I can only imagine the next baby will be like me...oh dear!

So anyway, last night, we put her to bed about 8:15 only to hear lots of tears and crying for a few minutes which is unlike her. I left her for a little bit to see if she'd go to sleep, which I thought she did. But about 15 minutes later, we heard her talking to herself quite loudly through the moniter. Then all of a sudden, she started yelling "potty potty". So....what could I do but respond since she's been so good about telling me "potty" when she actually needs to do something. As I walk into her room, through small sobs, she cries "potty" to me. I grabbed her and carried her into the living room where her little potty is. She of course is wearing footie PJ's that require you to take everything off just to get to her diaper. I put her on her potty and she sits for 10 minutes...nothing happens. Sometimes, she'll tell me when she has to go but then gets stage fright and will do her business just minutes after you put her diaper back on. This wasn't the case either. So 8:45 she goes back to bed. Same thing...cries, whines, and then gets quiet just for a few minutes. But by 9:05 she's crying "potty" again. OK now, has she learned this quickly that I'll get her out of bed at the sound of that word??? But I go get her anyway, put her back on the toilet for another 10 minutes. Nothing. Grr...it's 9:20 now. As I put her diaper back on, she started crying again saying, "potty potty" so the diaper comes back off and her rear goes back on the potty. This time, after reading a few pages of her favorite book, she grunts and then jumps up. Great...her PJ's are still on her arms but hanging behind her. If she's doing something, it's going to get all over them! Arggg..but as soon as she popped up, I noticed that she had done both...although her #2 was the size of a rabbit pellet. But she was so proud of herself. I'm just thankful she didn't do that in her diaper and sit in it for 12 hours while she slept.

Now, let me fast forward to 4AM. I wake up to hear a piercing scream from next door. Usually when she wakes up crying, I can wait 30 seconds and she's gone back to sleep. But sometimes, like tonight, you just don't wait that long b/c of the sound of the cry. I dashed into her room, picked her up, and she continued screaming. No clue what was wrong. I put her on my lap while I rocked her but she continued to cry. I can only guess it was gas...b/c after a minute or two later, she tooted and then got quiet. I rocked her for about 5 minutes and then put her back to bed still awake. She remained quiet, rolled over, and went to sleep. Me on the otherhand "thoroughly enjoyed" the next 3 hours spent trying to go back to sleep. Grr...

To make things even stranger, it's 10AM and she just woke up. Are you kidding me?? Who is this child? Normally, she wakes up between 7:30 and 8. She was out cold! She had been sick a day or so prior, so thinking she still just needed her rest, I decided to not wake her and just let that be her morning nap. No telling what reason she had to sleep longer. But the first noise I heard when she finally woke up was her talking to herself. Ok now, girl, you could have warned me that you planned on sleeping late so I could plan to sleep late with you!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, those weird nights came more frequently than not around our house! Let's see....there was the night Sawyer wouldn't stop crying and when I went to check on him his diaper had 3 cow ants crawling around...they had stung him all over his little backside. Then there was the night that Sawyer woke up screaming and we go in and find out that he has fallen out of bed and take a trip to the ER with a broken collarbone....CRAZY!!! The Goodrums are notorious for whacky stuff.....

    Hooray for Zoe and the potty-training...that is good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a long night, but you are making great progress! Go Zoe!!! We, on the other hand are not even CLOSE!

    ReplyDelete